Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Old Man Music

Often enough, I wonder what sorts of listening I'll have settled into by the time I hit 60, 65--if I should be so lucky. Like, for instance: will a listen to Who's Next in its entirety mean nearly as much, feel nearly as big, as it does now?

I feel like I'm a fair amount more likely now to give a mid-period Van Morrison album a listen than I would have been five years ago; by the same token, I'm probably not keening to the new(ish) Motorhead quite as quickly as I would have a couple steps back.

Really revolutionary stuff, I know--tastes evolve and abrade. I guess I've just been thinking on where that's going to put me ten, twenty years down the line and how much a sea change we're talking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it´s like trying to picture yourself in the latter years. who you will be and what your m.o. will be like. it seems like the music should go along with, you know.
or maybe itll be like the ramones´ ¨never grow up.¨