Thursday, December 28, 2006

Help Me If You Can

At intermittent times over the last few months, I've been haunted by memories of the interstitial music PBS (Channel 2 in Boston when I was a kid) would use. I guess this was back when they weren't really playing commercials for upcoming shit, but rather throwing a still photo/drawing onscreen with something like "up next: Sesame Street" in the lower or upper right hand corner while some fairly evocative instrumental pieces played on the soundtrack.

The only two I've really been able to remember and identify having been used are "Take Five" and "Dueling Banjos."

There's one in particular that I'd give my eyeteeth to identify; here's a ridiculously bad attempt at description: a plucked acoustic intro, vaguely Spanish-sounding, jaunty (I always imagined someone singing 'the things that you just can't have' in time to that part...genesis of some really bad college songwriting, I suppose), on into a sort-of staccato, almost staggering proggy Yes bridge that was probably meant to be about astronauts had the composer deigned to lyricize, and back into that jaunty plucked part, now triumphantly played on a chorus of Martins.

I'm probably remembering poorly but I heard it the other night as a fadeout on Alien Man's show so it shouldn't be too off. (Ed. note: due diligence on Alien Man's site reveals the piece in question to be "Classical Gas" by Mason Williams and yep, my description was pretty much a shit sandwich.)

But anyhow, anyone who remembers any of the other pieces PBS used, give me a holler.

Thanks in advantio.

3 comments:

d said...

Well, now I'm going out of my head trying to remember what I always associate with PBS interstitial music: a piano instrumental I thought was called "Shoebox Dancer" or "Tiny Ballerina" or some other combination of those words. Google's giving me nothing, which suggests I'm in the neighborhood, but I can't remember what the house actually looks like.

relentlessivanlendl said...

sorry cant help but can add that im a big fan of the dr. phibes rising organ roll behind the WGBH Boston logo pop up.

WoodshedFitness@Gmail.com said...

dan...i *think* i know which one youre thinking of but i'm drawing a blank on any possible title.

king, oh yeah. phibes in 07.