Tuesday, October 17, 2006

How's By You?

I always enjoy hearing about someone's sea change in opinion on a certain band or artist. Me, I guess I'd finger Stone Temple Pilots: when they first came out, Weiland's voice made me want to throw something through a window; now I think they're one of the best bands the 90s had to offer, right down to "Sex Type Thing." The tipping point was probably the 455th time I listened to "Interstate Love Song" and realized I should stop pretending I didn't really fucking love it. God bless the brothers DeLeo. Runners up: The Monkees--Mike Nesmith could write the SHIT out of a pop song. Anyone who just chuckled, go find "You Just May Be the One" and see what you think.

In the other direction...maybe Jonathan Richman. Loved "Roadrunner" like I was supposed to when I was getting into the 70s. Now, hmm, I kind of think he was never in the music business to begin with, just the Jonathan Richman business. Although he's by all accounts a real nice guy.

Alright, I'm done, now it's your turn.

6 comments:

snidely whiplash said...

it's a pretty interesting question. interstate love song is a good though shockingly maudlin song. i was trying to think of a group or performer related sea change, and i couldn't really. the big one for me was overcoming my aversion to all things country maybe 10 years ago. this aversion was pretty honestly come by through exposure to hat bands in texas, but getting rid of it opened up the possibility of getting in to willie and hank and the boys.

oh, and i guess talking about just bands, maybe lynyrd skynyrd.

snidely whiplash said...

oh, ps, who is jonathan richmond exactly?

JBG JBG JBG said...

richman's a massachusetts native who did a lot of punky stuff contemporaneous to the ramones. if youve ever seen there's something about mary, i guess he did a lot of songs in the movie as a sort of character.

i think for me, in terms of genres, i am a better person now for having realized there was a lot of good disco shit. Chic and Donna Summer's records are frigging great.

snidely whiplash said...

it's interesting about disco. there are a few songs i like, but i don't really know who did them. what did donna summer do exactly?

JBG JBG JBG said...

my fave one of hers is "i feel love"--hard to describe but i'm sure you've heard it a million times. also "love to love you"

d said...

I've outgrown plenty of music. But one who didn't impress me at age 21 but just about killed me at 28: Bo Diddley. Also I started getting into the grunge era only 6 or 7 years after it ended.